In the Summer
- Download the theme book for the theme explanation and sample topics
- Read and understand the theme.
- Peruse the class textbook/class curriculum making note of possible student research topics.
- Set a calendar of assignments and due dates corresponding with each grading period.
August and September
- Introduce the theme.
- Show how the theme fits into the class curriculum.
- Explain sources.
- Develop a paperwork management system.
September and October
- Support students in choosing a topic.
- Help students decide if their project will be done individually or as a group.
- Guide students in reading a variety of quality sources.
- Help students narrow and ask questions of the topic (e.g. Can I do the topic in the amount of time allotted? Are there enough resources to support a research project on this topic?).
October, November and December
- Encourage students to read, read, read.
- Students need to begin analyzing sources.
- Help students develop a thesis.
- Explain formulating an interpretation and presenting research.
December and January
- Introduce the possible methods of presentation: Web site, Performance, Exhibit, Documentary, or Paper and support students in being good decision makers.